Thursday, August 30, 2012

Dotty Scrunchy-Banded Skirt

After my terrible attempt at making pants (waste of pretty fabric...sigh), I had one rectangle of this batik-y, blue-with-spots fabric left. It wasn't even enough to make a sling bag--and I definitely did not want to waste it--so I searched around for possibilities.  I am too lazy for zippers but thought a skirt with a scrunchy, elastic waistband would be perfect. 

I found some great tutorials (mostly here and a little bit here) but was afraid that my piece of fabric wasn't big wide enough.  At first I was like "I guess I can begrudgingly make a skirt for my size 00 sister" and started to sew.  Then I figured out two things

The first was I didn't need two side-seams. Of course, getting rid of one side seam meant I only had one pocket but no biggie. That's what sling bags are for!  In other words, this skirt is cut from one piece of fabric, rather than the two that the tutorial suggests.

The second was"Ha! I can just make my skirt less scrunchy than the tutorials specify!" And so here I am, grinning wildly because I didn't have to give away my skirt!

showing off my skirt's pocket :)

Scunchy-waisted skirts kind of blimp you up, but this one is cleverly designed to curb that a bit. (Please note I am not at all responsible for this cleverness.) The elastic does not entirely circle the waist; rather there is one strip of elastic in front and another strip in back.  This leaves 4 inches on each hip to lie flat to minimize the poof factor. 

All in all, a straight forward project that does not require much fabric or expertise. In other words, perfect for poor noobs like me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment